Sweaty, shirtless men playing volleyball while Kenny Loggins jams out, "Playing with the Boys." You know the movie. We discuss Top Gun and its secrets, idiosyncrasies, and obvious homo-eroticism.
Warning: Spoilers, adult humor, and harsh language ahead. Listen at your own risk.
2DudeReview - Episode 7: Top Gun
- Discuss site, Twitter, etc.
Ia. Our bet to who plays the Kelly McGillis role in the picture
II. First Impressions of Top Gun
III. Origin & tidbits
- Pete Pettigrew (the guy at the bar with Charlie) was the real-life Viper who shot down a MiG in Vietnam. He was also the consultant for the film.
- Val Kilmer didn't want to be in the movie but was contractually obligated.
- Kilmer adlibbed the famous, "bullshit" cough line.
- Anthony Edwards is the only one who didn't puke while in the fighter jets. Cruise took three flights. He vomited on the first.
- Edwards had no idea he was expected to sing or play piano. Tony Scott added that last minute after listening to Jerry Lee Lewis.
- They give a $5 fine at the real school to anyone that quotes the movie.
- The Navy authorized two missle shots to be used and they were used in several places from different angles.
- Speaking of the Navy, they set up recruiting booths at theaters.
- The Navy had a 500 percent increase in recruits wanting to enter the aviation program.
- Cruise didn't want to play the role until the Navy took him up and flew him around doing barrel rolls, etc. when he agreed.
- Cruise had to wear lifts in his shoes since McGillis is 5'10" and he is 5'7". In the final scene at the diner, they dug a trench that McGillis stood in so they looked the same height.
- Cruise and McGillis didn't get along.
- Cruise and Kilmer also kept their distance and didn't socialize.
- However Meg Ryan and Anthony Edwards dated after filming.
- The original name of the character for Cruise was Evan but they changed it to Pete as homage to Pettigrew.
- Matthew Modine and Mickey Rourke turned down the Maverick role. Patrick Swayze, Emilion Estevez, Nicolas Cage, John Cusack, Matthew Broderick, Sean Penn, Michael J. Fox, Scott Baio, and Tom Hanks also turned down the role. Charlie Sheen, Jim Carrey, Rob Lowe, Kevin Bacon, Eric Stoltz, and Robert Downey Jr. were all considered
- Ally Sheedy turned down the role of Charlie because she thought no one would see the movie. She later regretted that. Tatum O'Neal, Jodie Foster, Daryl Hannah, Diane Lane, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Linda Hamilton all turned down the role as well. Brooke Shields, Carrie Fisher, and Debra Winger were considered but producers wanted an unknown.
- Kenny Loggins wasn't the first choice to record "Danger Zone". REO Speedwagon and Toto were considered.
- John Carpenter and David Cronenberg turned down the director gig.
- Test audiences didn't like there was no love scene so they shot the elevator and sex scenes five months after the movie wrapped.
- A stunt pilot was killed during filming. His body and aircraft were never found.
- The Pentagon charged 1.8 million for use of the planes and aircraft carriers. They also demanded script approval to make sure the Navy was portrayed in a positive light. Things they changed were Goose's death as an accident instead of a midair collision, Cougar was supposed to crash trying to get back to the carrier leading to Maverick getting his spot, Indian Ocean was used instead of Cuba, and Charlie was changed to a civilian instead of a member of the Navy since fraternization was prohibited.
IV. Our notes on Top Gun
V. How rotten is Top Gun? Top Gun was given an % by Rotten Tomatoes. Do the following films fall higher or lower than %?
VI. Mention next film, Jacob's Ladder, plus reiterate the Web site and social media feeds
VII. Final Grade of A-F
Chad's Grade: A-
Brian's Grade: C
Karina's Grade: B