Beers were shotgunned, the 80's discussed, and Chad offered to sell his children for a sandwich. These are just some of the things examined as Karina picked this week's movie - the Rob Reiner classic, The Sure Thing.
Warning: Spoilers, adult humor, and harsh language ahead. Listen at your own risk.
2DudeReview - Episode 9: The Sure Thing
- Discuss site, Twitter, etc.
Ia. Our bet for the picture
II. First Impressions of The Sure Thing
III. Origin & tidbits
- Rob Reiner initially wouldn't meet with John Cusack because he was underage. He was convinced and cast Cusack.
- Reiner's second film he directed after This is Spinal Tap and before Stand By Me.
- Anthony Edwards was considered for the lead and was given the role of the best friend when Cusack landed the lead.
- Edwards played Gilbert in Revenge of the Nerds (eventual 2DudeReview review) in 1984, Lance in The Sure Thing in 1985, and Goose in Top Gun (a 2DudeReview review) in 1986.
- Since Cusack was 16 and hadn't graduated high school, producer Roger Birnbaum had to go to court and have him emancipated so he could film on location. During filiming, Birnbaum was his legal guardian.
- Cusack told Reiner he could shotgun a beer so Reiner added it to the script.
- Cusack's fourth movie, done before Better Off Dead and One Crazy Summer.
- Daphne Zuniga was almost four years older than Cusack.
- First movie for Nicollette Sheridan.
- While not his first film, Tim Robbins went from The Sure Thing in 1985 to being on an episode of Moonlighting with Bruce Willis from Die Hard (a 2DudeReview review) to playing Merlin in Top Gun (a 2DudeReview review) in 1986.
- Considered a modern-day (for the 1980's) version of Frank Capra's It Happened One Night.
IV. Our notes on The Sure Thing
V. How rotten is The Sure Thing? The Sure Thing was given an % by Rotten Tomatoes. Do the following films fall higher or lower than %?
VI. Mention next film, The Sure Thing, plus reiterate the Web site and social media feeds
VII. Final Grade of A-F
Chad's Grade: B-
Brian's Grade: B
Karina's Grade: A+