We close out our Christmas movie extravaganza with Brian's pick - Christmas Vacation. We investigate some of the secrets to the film, talk about our favorite Christmas movies, and discuss the oddity that is Randy Quiad.
Warning: Spoilers, adult humor, and harsh language ahead. Listen at your own risk.
2DudeReview - Episode 11: Christmas Vacation
- Discuss site, Twitter, etc.
Ia. Our bet for the picture
II. First Impressions of Christmas Vacation
III. Origin & tidbits
- Originated from a John Hughes story called "Christmas '59" published in National Lampoon magazine.
- Shot in Colorado and California.
- Todd and Margo live in the same house as the Murtaugh's in all the Lethal Weapon movies.
- The last film of Mae Questel who began in 1930 as the voice of Betty Boop.
- The pickup in the beginning is the same one Kurt Russel drove in Overboard.
- Clark and Eddie are drinking egg nog out of Wally World mugs.
- The person on the Time cover when they are in bed is the director of the movie.
- Chevy Chase broke his pinky when he punched Santa Claus after the lights didn't light.
- This is the second 2DudeReview review where the lead actor punches Santa Claus.
- Chris Columbus was set to be the director but after meeting with Chevy Chase, he turned it down because he said he couldn't work with him. He went on to do Home Alone instead.
- There are several stories that have come out about people refusing to work with Chase.
- Randy Quiad went a bit off the rails in the last decade. 2006 he filed a lawsuit against Focus Features who produced Brokeback Mountain because he claimed the movie was to be a low-budget, art film that wouldn't make money and they paid him below market rates. He sought $10 million plus punitive damages. He dropped the lawsuit after, he said, Focus Features agreed to pay him a bonus. Focus Features denied making a settlement. In 2009, Quaid and his wife were arrested for defrauding an innkeeper, burglary, and conspiracy. They allegedly left a a hotel with a balance due of approximately $10,000. They didn't appear in court and lost their $40,000 bail and warrants were issued. The case against Quaid was eventually dropped due to lack of evidence and his wife got three years probation and 240 hours of community service. A few months later they faced burglary charges for living in a guest house without permission. Quaid claimed he owned the house even though there was documents that said he sold it in 2007. His wife was also booked for midemeanor resisting arrest. The bail was set at $50,000 and again they failed to appear. Their bail was raised to $500,000 and forfeited in November of that year. It would later be rescinded due to a procedural error. Shortly after that, they were arrested in Vancouver. They sought protection under the Canadian Immigratioon and Refugee Protection Act claiming they feared for their lives in the United States because actors had died under mysterious circumstance committed by "Hollywood star whackers," which his wife would later create a docudrama called "Star Whackers" starring Quaid to discuss the criminal conspiracy. Quiad attributes that the whackers were responsible for the deaths of Heath Ledger, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and David Carradine. The US tried to get them back to face the felony burglary charge but were turned down by Canada. He went on to make an odd sex tape with his wife where she is wearing a Rupert Murdoch mask and he said "So Rupert, you want to fuck me? I'm gonna fuck you." He does this while sporting the Hawaiin shirt he wore in Independence Day and the clip ends with him yelling out, "I'm baaaaack." Another Independence Day reference. Quiad was arrested in Vermont and then released immediately a few years later. He now lives in Vermont and is still dealing with the charges of trespassing in California.
IV. Our notes on Christmas Vacation
V. How rotten is Christmas Vacation? Christmas Vacation was given an % by Rotten Tomatoes. Do the following films fall higher or lower than %?
VI. Mention next film, Christmas Vacation, plus reiterate the Web site and social media feeds
VII. Final Grade of A-F
Chad's Grade: A-
Brian's Grade: A
Karina's Grade: B-