Star Wars trivia, college costs, and 1989 movies are discussed before we nerd out talking Tim Burton's Batman.
Warning: Spoilers, adult humor, and harsh language ahead. Listen at your own risk.
2DudeReview - Episode 64: Batman
- Fans backlashed the film over Keaton and Burton thinking Burton would do another Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Keaton would play the Batman role like Mr. Mom.
- Considered for the role were Mel Gibson, Kevin Costner, Charlie Sheen, Tom Selleck, Bill Murray, Harrison Ford and Dennis Quaid. Pierce Bronson was offered the role but turned it down. Ray Liota was also in discussion but he also turned it down (he later regretted that decision but went on to be in GoodFellas that same year.)
- Keaton being hired resulted in 50,000 letters being sent to Warners Bros. from fans disagreeing with the decision.
- Brad Dourif, Tim Curry, David Bowie, John Lithgow and James Woods were considered for the Joker. Lithgow talked Burton out of giving him the role (he later regretted that). Nicholson took the role but contingent on certain number of hours he would film and he wouldn't miss Lakers games.
- Sean Young was supposed to be Vickie Vale but she got all busted up in a horse riding accident prior to filming so they gave it to Basinger.
- Keifer Sutherland was supposed to be Robin but was written out of the script.
- Keaton used the deeper voice to disguise Batman's identity. This would later be used by Christian Bale.
- The original climax has the Joker kill Vicky Vale and force Batman to seek revenge. They didn't tell Burton about this and so the director nor the actors knew how the movie was going to end.
- Isn't Bruce Wayne supposed to be a playboy, an eccentric, and in the press and all that? Then how is it Knox and Vale have no idea what he looks like? Also, then why would Vale think they are in love after one night in the sack?
- The Ledger Joker was like the comic, a crazed man against society, the Ying to the Batman Yang. What the hell was the Nicholson Joker besides just a pissed off gangster who wanted to bone Kim Basinger?
- If Colt 45 works everytime, no doubt, then why did they replace Lando for Tommy Lee Jones for Two-Face?
- Why was Commissioner Gordon just a buffoon the whole movie?
- Outside of the fight in the museum, where are the police in Gotham? There were none shown around the parade?
- How are Joker henchmen everywhere? After the museum there are a ton of Joker cars following the Batmobile. In the cathedral (where they weren't even supposed to be, there were henchmen everywhere). Are there more henchmen than civilians in Gotham?
- Bruce's parents and the family in the beginning decide to take the alley to get where they are going instead of the main street that is right there - is this a common thing in Gotham (a place known for heavy criminal activity)?
- The Joker put poison in all of the makeup, hairspray, deoderant products in Gotham - but only 13 deaths? Also, why would the Joker go on TV and tell everyone that the products are out there? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the products killing the people in Gotham?
- If the Joker says, "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moon light," to all his prey, why didn't he say it to Eckhert, Grissom, Bruce's parents, the people of Gotham?
- While we are on the subject, why does Burton have the Joker kill Bruce's parents (Joe Chill does in the comic)?
- The Batman doesn't kill thing just doesn't apply to Burton's Batman?
Final Grade of A-F
Chad's Grade: A+
Brian's Grade: B
Karina's Grade: A